Scott Daniels | November 13, 2012
Last Friday St. Jude Medical requested inter partes review of a University of Michigan patent claiming a “calcification-resistant” material for prosthetics (see inter partes review Request No. (2)). The U of M has already sued St. Jude for infringement of the patent.
The following inter partes review requests were filed:
(1) IPR2013-00038 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 7,956,978 entitled LIQUID-CRYSTAL DISPLAY DEVICE HAVING A PARTICULAR CONDUCTIVE LAYER and owned by Semiconductor Energy Laboratory Co., Ltd. Filed November 7, 2012 by ChiMei Innolux Corp. The ‘978 patent is currently the subject of a litigation styled Semiconductor Energy Laboratory Co., Ltd. v. Chimei Innolux Corp., et al. (Case No. SACV12-0021-JST (C.D. Cal.)).
(2) IPR2013-00041 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 5,746,775 entitled METHOD OF MAKING CALCIFICATION-RESISTANT BIOPROSTHETIC TISSUE and owned by University of Michigan. Filed November 9, 2012 by St. Jude Medical, Inc. The ‘775 patent is currently the subject of a litigation styled University of Michigan v. St. Jude Medical, Inc. (Case No. 2:12-CU-12508-AC-LJM (E.D. Mich.)).
The following ex parte requests were filed:
(1) 90/012,716 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 6,436,135 entitled PROSTHETIC VASCULAR GRAFT and owned by Bard Peripheral Vascular. Filed November 5, 2012 by W.L. Gore. The ‘135 patent is the subject of infringement actions entitled Bard Peripheral Vascular v. W.L. Gore (Case No. 03-cv-597 (D. Ariz.); Bard Peripheral Vascular v. Atrium Medical (Case No. 2:10-cv-1694 (D. Ariz.))).
(2) 90/012,717 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. RE 39,998 (reissue of U.S. Patent No. 6,399,176) entitled COMPOSITE WEAR COMPONENT and owned by Magotteaux International S.A. Filed November 8, 2012.
(3) 90/012,718 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 8,253,598 entitled LIGHT-EMITTING KEYBOARD and owned by Darfon Electronics Corp. Filed November 9, 2012.