Scott Daniels | July 9, 2012
Last June OSRAM GmbH filed an ITC complaint against LG Innotek and Samsung, accusing them of importing into the United States LEDs, LED monitors and LED television sets that infringe 12 patents, one of them being U.S. Patent No. 7,162,261 claiming a light-radiating semiconductor component with a luminescence conversion element. (Certain Light Emitting Diodes, 337-TA-785). The trial starts today, and the investigation has a February 11, 2013 deadline for completion. On Friday LG requested reexamination of the ‘261 patent (see inter partes Request No. (3)).
So far this is the first reexamination for any of the OSRAM patents in the case, but others might follow, especially for the ‘732, ‘500, 283 and ‘621 patents that concern technology similar to that of the ‘261 patent. If the PTO rejects the ‘261 claims in reexamination, and if the ITC finds that the ‘261 is valid and infringed, the ITC will again face the question of whether it should issue import relief based on a patent in reexamination.
The following inter partes requests were filed:
(1) 95/002,032 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 7,024,387 entitled AUTOMATED SYSTEM FOR CONDITIONAL ORDER TRANSACTIONS IN SECURITIES OR OTHER ITEMS IN COMMERCE and owned by 5th Market. Filed July 2, 2012, by Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
(2) 95/002,033 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 6,425,828 entitled DATABASE DRIVEN ONLINE DISTRIBUTED TOURNAMENT SYSTEM and owned by Walker Digital Management. Filed July 3, 2012, by Sony. The ‘828 patent is currently the subject of a litigation styled Walker Digital Management v. Sony (Case No. 1:11-cv-368).
(3) 95/002,034 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 7,126,162 entitled LIGHT-RADIATING SEMICONDUCTOR COMPONENT WITH LUMINESCENCE CONVERSION ELEMENT and owned by OSRAM AG. Filed July 6, 2012, by LG Innotek. The ‘162 patent is currently the subject of the ITC investigation Certain Light Emitting Diodes, 337-TA-785.
The following ex parte requests were filed:
(1) 90/012,385 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 6,644,224 entitled APPARATUS FOR PREPARING SOIL FOR PLACEMENT OF SEED AND ADDITIVE and owned by Dawn Equipment. Filed July 3, 2012, by Ag Focus. The ‘224 patent is currently the subject of a litigation styled Dawn Equipment v. Ag Focus (Case No. 1:11-cv-1428 (C.D. Ill.)).
(2) 90/012,386 (electronically filed) – U.S. Patent No. 7,833,301 entitled ENGINE EXHAUST COOLER AND AIR PRE-CLEANER ASPIRATOR and owned by Deere & Co. Filed July 5, 2012, by Owner.